Today, I celebrated 18 years of marriage.
Just in case you didn’t know, marriage is work. Even if you have the best relationship with your spouse, it takes effort to have a fulfilling relationship. Below are a few things I’ve learned.
- Be yourself.
- Allow your spouse to be himself.
- Be open to growth–yours and his.
- Biblical submission empowers. Religious submission oppresses. Chose how you submit wisely.
- The Proverbs 31 Woman is an empowered woman.
- There is a Proverbs 31 Man who compliments her.
- You don’t need permission. Only information.
- Communication is more than saying. It is observing, listening, and responding, too.
- Prayer will change you before it changes him.
- Love is an action word.
- Love never fails but your spouse will.
- Marriage is a commitment between two people. Anyone else in the mix creates an imbalance.
- Make time for your spouse–uninterrupted.
- Make time for yourself–uninterrupted.
- You can live your purpose alongside your spouse. Your life does not need to be consumed by his.
- Choose friends who are friends of your marriage.
- Make your bedroom a safe space. No arguing. No heavy discussions.
- Fight fair.