I admit it. I can often be a disgruntled wife. A few weeks ago I got really peeved about every article in my newsfeed or shared on Facebook being about things wives can do to make their husbands lives better. It seemed that no matter where I looked there was some woman or man giving advice on how to give him better sex, better food, better time, better you, blah blah blah. The “fair” Makasha wanted to know why women were always tasked with being better when men were not.
Then, the “public relations and media consultant” Makasha thought Duh, you write about being a good wife and are friends with women who do the same so your newsfeed is bombarded with advice. Crisis averted. Hence, the topic of this post.
I love to see my husband smile. The boyish quality underneath the man he is makes him fun. Below are a few things that I do to make him smile. While me cleaning the house makes him very happy, I promise chores are not on this list.
7 Things Wives Can Do to Make Their Husbands Smile
- Smile at him. I think all the time. In many cases I can be in such deep thought that my brow furrows. Now, I try to come out of my own head when we’re together. I smile at him and he smiles back.
- Complement him. When was the last time you paid attention to your husband? Do you like the gray in his beard? What about the way his jeans hang from his gate? There is something about him that you can mention to show him that you still notice him. PS-Don’t make this about what he does. Make it about his countenance.
- Feed him. You can even eat with him.
- Walk with him. This could be in the literal sense, such as an evening stroll in your neighborhood. Or, it could be in the figurative sense as in when he is going through something.
- Hold him. We always hear women saying “hold me” in romance novels. But, I’ve learned that touch is very important to men, too. Make a place for his head in your lap while you watch movies together. I wrote movies because he’s very active while he watches football.
- Kiss him. Admittedly, I’m not a big kisser. But, my husband is. I had to learn how to be free enough to kiss him and I started liking it (blush).
- Be the girl he fell in love with. Being a mother and business owner is so overrated. I know. These are roles that I take joy in but my husband didn’t fall in love with “Mother” Makasha or “Worker” Makasha. He fell in love with “Wife” Makasha. I actually liked her too. Recently, I started paying attention to the things that make me happy. I’m a happier wife because of that. Now, I can laugh and be silly because I’m not so preoccupied with filling a role. I’m learning how to be Me again.
What are some things you do to make your husband smile? I need to build my list.