This guest post is courtesy of Dr. Tredell Dorsey, my husband.
Today I was sitting at work thinking of how I can be a better father and husband.
I have to find the balance of being a great father and husband, but how? It seems that when you give more to one you lack with the other. So how do you manage this situation so that everyone is happy including yourself? Well after days of thinking about how to change for the better; how to be effective and successful at both, I came up with the following suggestions:
- Pray for your family alone and together.
- Tell your kids and your wife that you love them every day.
- Make time to do activities with both your kids and wife together as a family.
- Take time to tell your wife how much you appreciate the things she does on a daily basis.
- Sit down and talk to your kids about their day and ask questions.
- Listen with your eyes, ears and hands. Let her know she’s the focus.
- Send her flowers or a card just because.
- Plan a date with your wife and make the night all about her. You can do the same with the kids.
- Be honest and transparent when engaging in conversation with respect.
- Call in the middle of the day and tell her you can’t stop thinking about how lucky you are to have her in your life.
Now, these are 10 things that I’m in the process of doing in my quest in being a better husband and father. Remember your family is important so like you work hard at your job work even harder on your family.
What ways can you become a better husband and father?